Plans to make all trains from Whitby terminate at Middlesbrough have been dropped following a large amount of public feedback.
The idea was put forward to try and improve reliability on the Esk valley line which suffers from having long single track sections and antiquated signalling.
Clare Waller from Northern says the big changes planned for next spring have now been shelved but that some incremental changes will be bought in.
The proposals would have seen Whitby services terminate at Middlesbrough in an effort to improve reliability on the line with passengers having to change at Middlesbrough to head further north. It had been claimed the changes would have added 50 minutes to a journey between Whitby and Newcastle.
Part of the thinking behind the proposed change was that research showed only 8% of journeys from the Esk Valley crossed Middlesborough.
But, Clare Waller from Northern says the response to a consultation on the changes has made the rail industry think again.


North Yorkshire Council Approves £150,000 Financial Support for Scarborough Athletic Football Club
Yorkshire Coast Awaits Next Steps as National Visitor Levy Consultation Concludes
Local Residents Launch Campaign Against Proposed Wind Farm at Woldgate
Solar Carports to be Installed Across East Riding Leisure Centres
Yorkshire Coast B&Bs Invited to Tourism Networking and Literature Exchange Event
North Yorkshire Council Changes Rejected
Scarborough Residents Meet ‘To Get Things Done’
Scarborough and Whitby MP Welcomes £10 Million Travel Fund for Young Cancer Patients
North Yorkshire Moors Railway Bridge Fundraising Hits £130k Funding Milestone
Scarborough Set for ‘Flipping Marvellous’ Shrove Tuesday Traditions
Council Decision Expected on £150k Emergency Loan for Scarborough Athletic Football Club
Yorkshire Coast Braces for Freezing Conditions as Yellow Ice Warning Issued







Comments
Add a comment