Strongly opposed plans to put 65 lodge-style caravans on farmland near Filey have been thrown out by councillors, who said the area already has enough holiday sites.
The plans – which also included a reception building, cafe, swimming pool, play area and changing rooms – attracted more than 230 objections from residents after first being submitted in October 2021.
These included objections from Filey Town Council, Hunmanby Parish Council, and Reighton and Speeton Parish Council.
Businessman Wayne Low is behind the plans and previously withdrew an application for 78 lodge-style caravans at the Sands Road site.
His latest proposals were unanimously refused by councillors on Thursday.
The decision comes as Natural England is in the process of launching an examination of designating the Yorkshire Wolds an area of outstanding natural beauty, and there are suggestions that this area should be included.
Speaking at yesterday’s meeting, resident Nigel Clarke said the development would be “highly visually intrusive” on the open countryside and add to a “straggle” of holiday sites along the coast.
He also said the proposals would “ruin” Hunmanby Gap – a popular beach which stretches two miles wide.


Carnaby Holiday Park Deaths: Third Man Arrested As Enquiries Continue
Carnaby Deaths: Families Pay Tribute To Tragic Teens
East Riding Climate Strategy: We Need To Do More
Scarborough Athletic Stay In Play Offs After Hereford Win
Whitby Town Fight Back For Draw in Bamber Bridge Battle
Bridlington Town Six Unbeaten After Latest Victory
Three in Three For Pickering Town Under Heslop
Hornsea Hammered in Rotherham Defeat
Rare Glimpse Inside Scarborough Station’s Clocktower as Restoration Ticks Along
Major Investment Boost for Whitby’s Woodsmith Mine Project
Scarborough Sets Sights on National Stage with 2028 Town of Culture Bid
East Riding Council’s Housing Strategy Sparks Debate Over Ambition and Cost







Comments
Add a comment